Under the theme of harmony and balance, “Presence and Persistence” invites 11 teams of artists from Korea and other counties who have shown positive and creative homeostasis, including Helmo (Montreuil, France) and Miju Lee (Busan, Korea), There is also the in-house Ghost Collective (Seoul), Studio Spass (Rotterdam), Club Sans (Seoul, Reims), Bin Koh (Amsterdam), Simo Tse (Amsterdam), Dongwan Kook (Seoul), Naky Hwang (London), and TUKATA® (Incheon). Works by these artists invited from a number of cities are installed all over the exhibition venue, and Culture Station Seoul 284 connects all these different parts of the event. This part consists of leading works of Typojanchi 2021, expressing the theme “Typography and Life” in the most profound way.
NAVER × NAVER Culture Foundation × AG Typography Institute
- Seoul, South Korea
Maru Buri, a Record of 4 Years
The font doesn’t stay in just one shape. There were types of engraving in places such as stones, wood, and keel, and as paper and printing skills developed, there were printing types of wood type, metal type, and photographic type. The font became more efficient and readable according to the environment as if it were evolving, and at the same time, it has changed into an aesthetic type.
In the late 1970s, personal computers appeared, and the font environment gradually moved from paper to screen. During this process, the San-serif type successfully evolved to fit the screen, but the Serif type stagnated. Maru Buri was designed by sharing and reflecting opinions with several users on the Serif type, which is being shunned on the screen. Starting with preliminary research in 2018, we introduce the four-year record of the Maru Buri font design process to be published on Hangeul Day in 2021. We hope that through Maru Buri, the digital visual culture will be more organized as who we are, and the unique aesthetics of Hangeul can bloom in digital devices.
- Bin Koh Machines in the Private Domain
- Dongwan Kook Outbreak 900x, Stay at home please 900x
- The In-house Ghost Collective Make a Wish
- NAVER × NAVER Culture Foundation × AG Typography Institute Maru Buri, a Record of 4 Years
- TUKATA® The World’s Longest Name
- Studio Spass LIFESPAN
- Simo Tse (Simpson Tek Fai TSE) A Sun is Also a Star
- Helmo LIVING/LOVING
- Miju Lee Buddha’s Palm
- Club Sans JIM
- Filed Missing Images
- Naky Hwang Our Birthplace / Map of Our Birthplace / Weather the Day We Were Born / Our Birthplace Souvenir
- CAVA Life Contactless Typography Series, CAVA Life × Korean Society of Typography × Typojanchi, CAVA SELECTED