Under the theme of harmony and balance, “Presence and Persistence” invites 11 teams of artists from Korea and other counties who have shown positive and creative homeostasis, including Helmo (Montreuil, France) and Miju Lee (Busan, Korea), There is also the in-house Ghost Collective (Seoul), Studio Spass (Rotterdam), Club Sans (Seoul, Reims), Bin Koh (Amsterdam), Simo Tse (Amsterdam), Dongwan Kook (Seoul), Naky Hwang (London), and TUKATA® (Incheon). Works by these artists invited from a number of cities are installed all over the exhibition venue, and Culture Station Seoul 284 connects all these different parts of the event. This part consists of leading works of Typojanchi 2021, expressing the theme “Typography and Life” in the most profound way.
Bin Koh (b. S-Korea) is a visual artist based in Amsterdam. She holds an MA from Sandberg Instituut, Master of Voice. Bin’s practice – from graphics, to voice and performance – focuses on how the visual and aural presentation of the female body and voice are mechanized in digital and social labor systems. Her research formalises in a visual/performative language with a spectrum of hospitality and hostility.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Machines in the Private Domain
Machines in the Private Domain starts from the question of what it is like to be freed from labor by machines. The Czech philosopher Vilém Flusser emphasizes in his book Gestures that the state liberated from labor by the machine does not become a subject of history, but only serves as a function of consumption and apparatus.
For this work, I imagine the modulation of home appliances in a domestic environment. When homes become digitized and home appliances become more complex and recursive, how can humans who are working for domestic labor live and adapt with this new apparatus? I try to follow the trajectory of speculation of domestic labor in the new digital environment, hoping that the invisibility and alienation of domestic works become more visible.
- Bin Koh Machines in the Private Domain
- Dongwan Kook Outbreak 900x, Stay at home please 900x
- The In-house Ghost Collective Make a Wish
- NAVER × NAVER Culture Foundation × AG Typography Institute Maru Buri, a Record of 4 Years
- TUKATA® The World’s Longest Name
- Studio Spass LIFESPAN
- Simo Tse (Simpson Tek Fai TSE) A Sun is Also a Star
- Helmo LIVING/LOVING
- Miju Lee Buddha’s Palm
- Club Sans JIM
- Filed Missing Images
- Naky Hwang Our Birthplace / Map of Our Birthplace / Weather the Day We Were Born / Our Birthplace Souvenir
- CAVA Life Contactless Typography Series, CAVA Life × Korean Society of Typography × Typojanchi, CAVA SELECTED