Under the theme of harmony and balance, “Presence and Persistence” invites 11 teams of artists from Korea and other counties who have shown positive and creative homeostasis, including Helmo (Montreuil, France) and Miju Lee (Busan, Korea), There is also the in-house Ghost Collective (Seoul), Studio Spass (Rotterdam), Club Sans (Seoul, Reims), Bin Koh (Amsterdam), Simo Tse (Amsterdam), Dongwan Kook (Seoul), Naky Hwang (London), and TUKATA® (Incheon). Works by these artists invited from a number of cities are installed all over the exhibition venue, and Culture Station Seoul 284 connects all these different parts of the event. This part consists of leading works of Typojanchi 2021, expressing the theme “Typography and Life” in the most profound way.
Miju Lee rearranges everyday moments like puzzles, discovers formative principles among them, and hides playful elements that break those principles here and there. In doing so, she tries to embody something like a déjà vu that is full of familiar things but seems strange, realistic and unrealistic at the same time. She is doing this through numerous methods while going back and forth between flat plane, three-dimension, and different genres.
- Busan, South Korea
In an old Chinese novel called Journey to the West, the Monkey King (a.k.a. Sun Wukong) the main character, flew to the end of the world on a cloud, but it was still in Buddha’s palm. The artist got the motif of this work from that story, and shows us how he composed a big picture
of the universe in one piece. This work reminds us how we are very little beings among huge forces and giant things in the world to shed light on a variety of lives that blend, hide, and create different pictures depending on how you look at them, thereby capturing messages of desire and support of it.
- Bin Koh Machines in the Private Domain
- Dongwan Kook Outbreak 900x, Stay at home please 900x
- The In-house Ghost Collective Make a Wish
- NAVER × NAVER Culture Foundation × AG Typography Institute Maru Buri, a Record of 4 Years
- TUKATA® The World’s Longest Name
- Studio Spass LIFESPAN
- Simo Tse (Simpson Tek Fai TSE) A Sun is Also a Star
- Helmo LIVING/LOVING
- Miju Lee Buddha’s Palm
- Club Sans JIM
- Filed Missing Images
- Naky Hwang Our Birthplace / Map of Our Birthplace / Weather the Day We Were Born / Our Birthplace Souvenir
- CAVA Life Contactless Typography Series, CAVA Life × Korean Society of Typography × Typojanchi, CAVA SELECTED