Under the theme of harmony and balance, “Presence and Persistence” invites 13 teams of artists from Korea and other counties who have shown positive and creative homeostasis, including Helmo (Montreuil) and Miju Lee (Busan). There are also the inhouse Ghost Collective (Seoul), Studio Spass (Rotterdam), Club Sans (Seoul, Reims), Bin Koh (Amsterdam), Simo Tse (Amsterdam), Dongwan Kook (Seoul), Naky Hwang (London), and TUKATA® (Incheon). Works by these artists invited from a number of cities are installed all over the exhibition venue, and Culture Station Seoul 284 connects all these different parts of the event. This part consists of leading works of Typojanchi 2021, expressing the theme “Typography and Life” in the most profound way.
Seul Kim, a designer who deals with visual images and spaces, and Lucas Ramond, a designer who deals with spaces and objects, have been working as a loose form of design collective named Club Sans since 2019. Each of their projects that goes through senses and spaces suggests a message that remains as an experience.
- Seoul, Reims
Club Sans composes the giant’s message asking “My name is AN. What’s your name? Things in Giant AN’s luggage are poured with a rustle: a mirror, pipe, aluminum hose, antenna, large ball, pieces of cut-out wood. What’s your name?”
The pieces of Hangeul have a sound (syllable) depending on the direction of movement, and the syllables form a meaning by connecting them with other syllables placed side by side. The movement of viewers looking at JIM reads the message of the giant. “What’s your name?” If the message was found, it means the viewer learned the form of Hangeul characters, how to read them, and their sound and meaning. Then the viewer will introduce their name. For a viewer who does not know Hangeul, they would look at the materials and wonder what relationship there is between them. What is your name? People, animals, objects, or even things without shapes—as long as they exist—get names at the moment they are born or are discovered. That is how relationships are born, and they exist through promises.
- Carpets, bricks, stove pipe, copper pipe, wire mesh roll, lumbers, flowers(chrysanthemum), flexible aluminium duct, baskets, reflector antenna, beach umbrella, advertisement balloon, ALC blocks
- Variable size
- Miju Lee Buddha’s Palm
- Helmo LIVING/LOVING
- Studio Spass LIFESPAN
- The In-house Ghost Collective Make a Wish!
- Club Sans JIM
- Simo Tse (Simpson Tek Fai TSE) A Sun is Also a Star
- Bin Koh Machines in the Private Domain
- CAVA Life Contactless Typography Series
- Dongwan Kook Outbreak 900 ×, Stay at Home Please 900 ×
- Naky Hwang Our Birthplace
- Filed Missing Images
- NAVER × NAVER Culture Foundation × AG Typography Institute Maru Buri, a Record of 4 Years
- TUKATA® The World’s Longest Name